In your school and community food skills classes aim to include recipes and activities that allow your students or participants to know...
how to choose and purchase quality local seasonal vegetables for eating and inclusion in recipes
how to choose vegetables based on classifications to assist with meal design
how to access accurate consumer information about vegetables from market personnel and web site sources
how to prepare, cook and serve vegetables for eating and inclusion in recipes
how to use small and large items (stove top) of kitchen equipment
Great local (Australian) web sites include:
Market Fresh Guide http://www.marketfresh.com.au
Fresh for kids http://www.freshforkids.com.au/seasonal_guide/seasonal_guide.html
Taste for recipe ideas http://www.taste.com.au/
Seasonal Vegetable Guide
RECIPE: Design Your Own Quick ‘n’ Easy Risotto
Risotto is a rice based dish which uses a rice variety known as arborio which absorbs 3-4 times its volume in liquid. The dish can be made more substantial with the addition of vegetables as flavouring ingredients.
The following recipe is basic and is modified to include the stock all at once. In a true risotto, heated stock is ladled in slowly as the rice absorbs the liquid (see Basic Risotto recipe in The Food Book on p. 254-255)
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1/4 onion, diced
2/3 cup arborio rice
1 1/2 cups stock (beef, chicken or vegetable)
1 cup flavouring vegetables (selection of seasonal vegetables)
Garnish - parmesan cheese shavings, fresh herbs
1. Dice the onion finely and prepare (shred,chop,grate,slice) other vegetable flavouring ingredients accordingly.
2. Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan and gently sauté the vegetables for a few minutes.
3. Add the rice and toss over a gentle heat for a few minutes or until the grains look white in colour.
4. Add the stock and a few shakes of pepper. Bring the rice to the boil, stirring once or twice.
5. Cover with a lid and turn the heat down as low as possible.
6. Allow to simmer very gently for 15 - 20 minutes. (Rice should still have a slight nuttiness in the centre). Do not uncover the rice during this time.
7. Toss gently with a fork, adjust seasonings and serve immediately.